Monday, April 20, 2009

Day 2 Update WPT Championship

My momma told me there would be days like today. The kind of day when nothing goes right. Luckily, we are just talking about poker.

I slept good and woke up ready to roll with my 121,000 chip stack. I don't think I ever got above that number the whole day. My table draw was really tough. Everyone played an aggressive re-raising kind of game. After losing a few pots, I built my stack back up to about 120,000 and got into a critical hand. After a lot of action, we end up getting 70k each in the pot with my pair against his Ace high flush draw with one card to come. He missed the flush but hit his Ace on the river. I could have been at 200k, but instead I was now in bad shape at 50k. I battled the rest of the day and actually feel pretty good about things.

The last hand kind of summed it all up. The crazy poor-playing European guy raised it to 5k from 2nd position. A pretty tight-aggressive player flat called on the button. I looked down at A5 in the BB with about 40k in front of me. I decide to shove all-in hoping that the tight player behind the Euro guy would cause the Euro to fold. I figure the tight guy would never call with a hand that wasn't good enough to raise the crazy Euro. This "squeeze play" can be a very effective way to pick up chips.

I thought my brilliant plan blew up when the crazy Euro called in about 2 nano-seconds. Tight guy quickly folded. I was pleasantly surprised to see Euro turn over QcTc. I was actually in the LEAD! The flop was good, but the turn brought a T that held up on the river.

That turn card was pretty much a reflection of the whole tourney. I didn't really have much chance with the cards I got. I had AA the first hand, picked up KK twice, never had QQ or JJ. Statistically, I should have had each of them about 3 times. I never flopped trips in 2 days. I did flop 2 pair once that turned into a full house that LOST to a higher full house. Just one of those trips that wasn't meant to be. Nothing to be disappointed about.

I'll be back in town on Wednesday ready to get back to the real world. I've got plenty to do to keep me busy up until the World Series. I appreciate everyone taking their time to keep up with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment