Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Travolta would be proud!

Although, I've never been a fan of polyester suits, I think John Travolta would have been proud of my 1st day of the 2009 WSOP Main Event. C'mon sing along, point at the ceiling, then the ground: ah... ah... ah... ah... staying alive, staying alive!!

I worked my butt off to make it to Day 2. The chips actually came easy, but they kept leaving when my opponent would hit a miracle card (oh... and one littly bitty 9k bluff that went wrong). I quickly went up to 40k, then lost to a guy's dream card on the river to go down to 20k. Built back up to 40k only to lose another hand that I could have sniffed out a little better that took me back down to 20k. Rebuilt to 38k and then abruptly went down to 15k. About 30 minutes into the last level, my stack was all the way down to 7k. I was very proud to suck it up and get it back up to 32k by the end of the day (we started with 30k). I played every chip as hard as I could.

I've got Day 2 on Wednesday with a below average stack. My table draw looks very interesting because I've got several big stacks to deal with. Luckily, 2 of them are to my right. I'm excited because only one of the players has accomplished much at all. I think it's going to be a really big day if I make it through. I don't think I'll have a below average stack for long - I'll either be big or be out.

Today, MJ and I went to the spa (c'mon, I'm a grown man... do I really need a robe and sandals?) and then just goofed around. We walked the strip and actually gambled a little bit. MJ did pretty well and I hit a royal flush for $1,000 in video poker - I'm hoping that's a good omen. In the evening, we went to see Tony and Tina's Wedding. It forced me to change a theory. I've always said "it's a Vegas show, it has to be good." Not at all what I expected. It was such a beating that we actually left early.

Anyway, root for me tomorrow! I'm pumped up and ready to roll!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment